While I love the occasional coffee, I don’t drink it nearly as much as I used to. I do however still love to hunker down under a blanket on the couch with a warm beverage on a chilly day and am always on the hunt for a delicious and nutritious homemade beverage. The egg yolk latte is the perfect drink to cozy up with! This creamy concoction combines the rich flavors of milk and coconut oil with the velvety texture of egg yolks. It might sound unusual, but don’t let that deter you.
Making your own egg latte allows you to use quality nutritious ingredients rather than relying on suspicious filler ingredients that get used in coffee shops. Additionally, you are able to customize your beverage to your exact preferences, experiment with different flavors, and indulge in a rich and creamy drink whenever you want!
Egg Yolk Latte Ingredients
The best thing about making egg lattes at home is the ability to mix and match flavors. While these ingredients are my baseline, check out the list at the bottom of the post for ways to switch up the flavors!
Milk: Preferably raw milk. Raw milk has several nutritional benefits including a lower incidence of asthma and allergies. However, if you don’t have raw milk, a high quality organic pasteurized milk will work as well.
Coconut Oil: Cold pressed or traditionally fermented coconut oil will have the most nutritional benefits.
Egg Yolk: High quality pasture-raised eggs who are not fed corn or soy.
Maple Syrup: A little local maple syrup provides a delightful sweetness.
The Magic Behind the Egg Latte
Now, you might be wondering what makes the egg latte so special. The answer lies in its unique combination of flavors and textures.
- Creaminess: The egg yolks add a rich, creamy texture to the latte that is similar to a custard or creamy dessert. The delightful textured is unparalleled and incredibly satisfying.
- Flavor Harmony: The natural richness of the egg yolk pairs well with milk and coconut oil to provide a soothing and filling beverage that warms you from the inside out.
- Versatility: Egg yolk lattes can be customized in several ways. You can experiment with different types of coffee, tea, adjust the sweetness, and even add spices like cinnamon or nutmeg to add a different twist.
- Nutritional Value: Egg yolks are packed with essential nutrients including vitamin A, D, E, K, B2, B6, B12, folate, choline, and healthy fats. By incorporating them into your latte, you’re adding a nutritional boost to your morning routine that will also help keep you full.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Egg lattes often feature a beautiful, marbled appearance when properly prepared, making them visually appealing as well as delicious!
How To Make An Egg Latte
Yolky Egg Latte
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Pour milk into sauce pan and very gently heat on "low". Heat just until steam starts to flow up off the milk (no higher than 140).
- While milk is heating, separate yolk from an egg. Discard the white and place yolk in a mug. Add coconut oil and maple syrup. Mix all ingredients until combined.
- Pour and stir in warmed milk and enjoy!
Egg Latte Variations
Just like traditional lattes, there are numerous ways to get creative with egg yolk lattes. Here are a few delicious variations to try:
Spiced Egg Yolk Latte: Infuse your latte with spices like cinnamon, cardamom, or nutmeg for a warm and comforting sensation.
Herbal Egg Yolk Latte: Experiment with herbal teas such as chamomile or lavender for a soothing and relaxing experience.
Chocolate Egg Yolk Latte: Add a bit of cocoa powder or melt some 100% dark chocolate chips to create a sweet and delectable treat.
Coffee or Espresso Egg Yolk Latte: A more traditional twist of the egg yolk latte.
Matcha Egg Yolk Latte: Try matcha green tea for a vibrant and earthy twist.