Pumpkin pie is a fall favorite recipe. While many make it just a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal, we start making it in our home as soon as pumpkins are ripe and in season. There is nothing quite like a freshly made pumpkin pie from scratch.
This recipe is creamy, custardy and has a ton of natural sweetness without any refined sugar. The honey or maple syrup give it a delightful sweetness with an added depth of fall flavor. Pumpkin pie can be a healthy and nutrient dense treat to have throughout the fall rather than just on a major holiday. With this simple recipe, it is quite easy to make on regularly!
The Secret Ingredient In Easy Pumpkin Pie
The key to making a delicious pumpkin pie isn’t the pumpkin at all. It is actually butternut squash! Butternut squash adds a wonderful natural sweetness as well as a creamy texture to the pie filling.
In fact, many store bought versions of pumpkin pie contain butternut squash. Unfortunately they also tend to come with several preservatives and questionable ingredients. Adding your own fresh butternut squash to the mix is tasty and will give the filling sweetness without a ton of added sugar.
How To Make Fresh Pumpkin Pie From Scratch
- Baking Pumpkin (pureed)
- Butternut Squash (pureed)
- Honey or Maple Syrup
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
- Pie Crusts
***Makes filling for 2 pumpkin pies.
- Start by roasting one medium sized baking pumpkin and a butternut squash. Cut in half and scoop out the seeds. You can place them face down on a baking sheet or if I have something else cooking in the oven I will just place them straight on the rack filling side up. Place in oven at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until the filling is soft and easy to poke with a fork. The top of the filling will also likely be just slightly browned.
- Once the pumpkin and squash have cooled, scoop out 3 cups of each into a blender. Add eggs, cream, maple syrup or honey, vanilla, salt and seasonings. Blend until there is a smooth and creamy texture.
- Pour the mixture into two parbaked crusts making sure the batter is even and smooth across the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until the center of the pie wobbles just a tiny amount. Having a little bit of wobble will prevent the filling from getting too dried out and cracking. The pie is still cooked through and will set up as it cools.
- Let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes or until it has had time to set up. Serve topped with fresh homemade whipped cream or ice cream.
How To Avoid Cracks In The Best Pumpkin Pie
Cracks in pumpkin pie come from over-baking it. When over-baked, the filling gets dried out causing it to crack. Bake the pie for about 45-55 minutes. The center of the pie will wobble just a little bit. It is still cooked through and will set up as it cools.
Fresh Pumpkin Pie From Scratch
- Blender or Mixer
- 2 Pie Plates or 9x13 Pan
- 3 cups Pumpkin Puree
- 3 cups Butternut Squash Puree
- 1.5 cups Cream, Milk, or Heavy Whipping Cream
- 6 Eggs
- 2/3 cup Maple Syrup or Honey
- 2 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Homemade Pie Crusts
- Blend pumpkin puree, butternut squash puree, eggs, cream, maple syrup or honey, pumpkin pie spice mix, salt and vanilla in a blender, food processor, or stand up mixer. Mix until it is smooth and creamy texture.
- Pour the mixture into two parbaked crusts making sure the batter is even and smooth across the top. You can also make this recipe in a 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until the center of the pie wobbles just a tiny amount. Have a little bit of wobble will prevent the filling from getting too dried out and cracking. The pie is still cooked through and will set up as it cools.
- Let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes or until it has had enough time to set up. Serve with fresh homemade whipped cream or ice cream.